Thursday, September 2, 2010

Apples in the Street

I no longer drive due to corneal dystrophy, so almost every day I walk on various errands in the N.W. Denver area. My bones need strengthening anyway, so wearing a weighty backpack is, in itself, a health-promoting act.
Lately I've been seeing fallen apples on the sidewalks and streets of my territory. It didn't take long before I picked an apple off a tree not my own, the better to assess flavor. Then I decided to collect a good portion of those apples off sidewalk and street, which I deemed public. I took them home, washed them twice, and two days later threw them in the compost bin. Apparently, I was too lazy to make applesauce, I'm not sure why. The sloth of Eve? I ask myself this question: What in life have I not done enough of yet? This puts me in mind of reading and writing. I do have reading and writing on my mind. These two disciplines help me stick with my ongoing inner project---accessing the courage to be truthful, and the strength to love my neighbor(whose apples I hope I didn't steal). I can really sink my teeth in that project!

1 comment:

  1. I think we all have moments like that - ones where we have the best of intentions, but ultimately fall short of our goals.

    It's best if we can just call ourselves on it, and get back to our goals. I think sometimes we become so obsessed with our failures that we lose focus and forget that there are so many more things out there we could be doing.

    ReplyDelete