Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blacktime Song by Rosalie Wolfe

My novel (title shown above) is now for sale. I hope to start a conversation about it for several reasons: I'm interested in the inner life, in the contemplative life, in fiction itself; I'm interested in forms of post-modern fiction and in the art of writing. I'm interested, to say the least, in God. I agree with Carl Jung -- "Bidden or not, God is present." I know it from experience, but I'm also a person of faith, and know that many things are still unseen and unknowable. My characters struggle even more than I myself do. For some reason I haven't let them learn all the lessons I've learned. Or perhaps it's impossible for me to write the best parts of grace. But I'm working on it.

I hope to have readers! I will surely learn a lot ...

1 comment:

  1. As I say, I'm a novice at blogs. Right now I'm going to post a comment in response to having no comments yet.
    In Aspects of the Novel, E.M. Forster's book published in 1927, he talks about both fantasy and prophecy as "types" of fiction. Fantasy is particularly popular now, and I must admit that the fantasy I like, such as that of C.S. Lewis, was written quite awhile ago; I knew not to try that form myself, even in my 20s.
    Prophetic fiction, however, seemed inevitably what would emerge from my imagination. C.S. Forster said it had "definite characteristics" including these: It always reaches back to pity and love; it is spasmodically realistic; and it gives us the sensation of a song or of sound; its face is towards unity, and it doesn't "glance around" as much as one imagines fantasy does. Putting words in my own mouth, I would say that C. S. Forster thinks prophetic fiction is crazier than fantasy. Now that I've mentioned crazy, maybe I should stop while I'm ahead.

    ReplyDelete